World Earth Day - How You Can Help
Date posted: 21.04.2022
With the 22nd April being the Anniversary of World Earth Day, it truly is time to Invest In Our Planet.
- Pollution effects more than 100 million people worldwide
- The refuse dumped in the ocean every year amounts to more than 6 billion kilograms.
- Children contribute to only 10% of the world’s pollution but are prone to 40% of global disease.
- Composting and recycling alone prevented 85 million tons of waste from being dumped in 2010.
- Pollution kills more than 1 million seabirds and 100 million mammals every year.
- It takes 2.6 gallons of water to make one sheet of paper.
To keep global warming below 1.5°C, we need to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by around 2050. The only way to do this is by urgently protecting and restoring the environment we all live in.
It’s clear a change has to be made, but how do we begin?
The good news is that you can start to make a personal impact today. Here at HSG we have put together our top 10 ways in which you can get your eco-friendly cap on, and Invest In Our Planet.
- The 3 R’s – Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. By recycling when possible, you can help in conserving natural resources and landfill space.
- Stop driving where possible. Using public transport or a bike when you’re able to makes you personally responsible for a reduction in CO2 output.
- Turn the taps off when brushing your teeth. This will save around 12 litres with each brush!
- Regularly check your taps and showerheads for leaks. A dripping tap can waste up to 1 litre every hour.
- Teach. Educating the next generation on how to live a more sustainable life will help the future battle.
- Eat sustainably. Our food consumption amounts to around a quarter of global greenhouse gas emissions! If everyone moved to a plant-based diet greenhouse gases caused by food production would be reduced by 70%.
- Shop second-hand. One plain t-shirt requires over 700 gallons of water to be made! Don’t just stop at clothes, though – reuse furniture, shoes, books, jewellery and more!
- Turn off lights when possible. LEDs and CFLs can take the place of less energy efficient incandescent bulbs.
- Plant a tree! A young tree is able to absorb 13 pounds of CO2 from the environment for every 5kg that it weighs. Just one or two trees can make a huge difference.
- Forget plastics. Try to stop using plastic straws, bottles, bags etc where you can.
We hope the above 10 examples can really help to have a large impact on your personal battle against climate change, but if it’s a larger scale issue you’re looking to fix then our innovative water conservation equipment may be the one for you.
Through our Queen’s Award winning Ureco and Water Management system, businesses can reduce urinal water consumption by up to 96% (from 850 litres, all the way down to 36). The patented technology inside the cap of the Ureco allows the rate of flushes to be vastly decreased, without compromising the washroom environment - creating a pleasant experience for any users while saving the customer vast amounts of money and water.
Learn more about our unique technology through the video below –
To get involved in helping to create a more water conscious world, get in touch here or email us at email@example.com.
HSG Become The Rams' Back of Shirt and Sports SponsorRead more
Keep updated with the latest HSG news, offers & innovations